Expertise: Leading regulatory and commercial litigator.
With over 25 years' experience, Beverley Lacey is a leading litigation practitioner and has acted on many of the major disputes and cases to come before the Island's courts and on countless confidential regulatory investigations and enforcement cases. Beverley was a senior litigation partner with Mourant Ozannes (1990-2012) when she left to establish Lacey Advocates.
Beverley Lacey is lawyer of choice for financial institutions, key individuals, regulators and government agencies, particularly in relation to:
- Jersey Financial Services Commission investigations and enforcement actions
- AML/CFT and sanctions issues
- Fiscal inquiries and investigations
- Boardroom and shareholder disputes
- Trust litigation
- Insolvency procedures
- A Crown Advocate, Beverley Lacey also prosecutes criminal cases on behalf of HM Attorney General.
What the Directories say:
"Whenever there is a strategic question or politically sensitive issue that has needed her senior judgement, she was available, helpful and knew exactly what was going on... Has the ability to quickly identify the issues and think outside the box to provide solutions."
"[Beverley] is highly regarded for her practice in regulatory litigation, including her recent work defending the States of Jersey against historic abuse claims."
Beverley Lacey works on major projects and managing complex cases and teams of advisers. This work can be highly confidential and not in the public domain. Examples include:
- Advising the States of Jersey on the Historic Abuse Redress Scheme. Beverley devised and established the Scheme, providing financial compensation to the victims of physical and sexual abuse suffered when children in the full-time residential care of the States of Jersey 1945-1994
- Acting in the first appointment of a Manager under the Financial Services (Jersey) Law 1998 followed by the bankruptcy of the regulated business (Chimel Trust). Beverley devised the system to manage and transfer over 100 clients and 400 structures to new trust & corporate service providers, involving numerous court applications
- Leading three teams of legal advisers in negotiating the resolution of serious issues with HMRC concerning the establishment of 200+ trust structures and in shutting down the structures
- Reviewing in detail and recommending changes to the corporate governance and operation of a regulated trust company and its client affairs
- Beverley is a regular conference chairperson and speaker. Recent topics include AML/CFT and sanctions and company law, including directors' duties, disqualification procedures and shareholder rights and remedies.
- Beverley Lacey leads the team that delivers bespoke AML/CFT and sanctions training to regulated businesses.
1985 Barrister, Inner Temple
1985 –1990 Chambers of Nicholas Valios QC, London
1994 Jersey Advocate
2000 to date - Jersey Crown Advocate